Calcium carbonate and calcium phosphate are each ionic salts that include the calcium cation. The previous comprises the carbonate anion whereas the latter comprises the phosphate anion. A short introduction to the properties and functions of calcium carbonate and calcium phosphate is supplied on this article.
Calcium carbonate is an ionic compound with the chemical components CaCO3. This compound is usually discovered naturally in rocks akin to limestone. It may be famous that the empirical components of calcium carbonate is identical as its molecular components. The first medicinal utility of calcium carbonate is as a calcium complement. It may also be used as an antacid. Some necessary properties and functions of calcium carbonate are listed on this subsection.
Properties of Calcium Carbonate
- The molar mass of calcium carbonate is roughly equal to 100.08 grams per mole.
- Underneath commonplace circumstances for temperature and stress (typically abbreviated to STP), calcium carbonate exists as a high-quality, white, powdery substance that has a style that’s much like chalk powder. This compound doesn’t have any attribute odour.
- The density of calcium carbonate in its calcite type is roughly equal to 2.711 grams per cubic centimetre.
- The density of calcium carbonate in its aragonite type is roughly equal to 2.83 grams per cubic centimetre.
- The pKa of calcium carbonate is roughly equal to 9.
Functions of Calcium Carbonate
- Calcium carbonate is a vital chemical compound within the building trade, the place it’s used as a constructing materials.
- This compound is added to drilling fluids because it has the flexibility to function a formation-bridging agent.
- This compound may also be utilized in microporous movies.
Calcium phosphate refers to a household of ionic salts of calcium that include calcium cations and phosphate anions. These salts can even include oxides and hydroxides as nicely. You will need to word that calcium phosphate is taken into account to have excessive dietary worth and is thought to naturally happen in lots of residing organisms. A typical member of the calcium phosphate household is dicalcium phosphate, also called calcium pyrophosphate. The chemical components of this compound will be written as Ca2P2O7. Some necessary properties and makes use of of calcium pyrophosphate are listed under.
- The molar mass of calcium pyrophosphate is roughly equal to 254.05 grams per mole.
- Underneath commonplace circumstances for temperature and stress (typically abbreviated to STP), calcium pyrophosphate generally exists as a white, powdery stable. This compound often doesn’t have any attribute odour.
- Underneath commonplace circumstances, the density of this chemical compound of calcium is often 3.09 grams per cubic centimetre.
- The melting level of calcium pyrophosphate is roughly equal to 1353 levels Celsius, which is the same as 1626 on the Kelvin scale.
- You will need to word that this compound is insoluble in water.
- The first utility of calcium pyrophosphate is as an abrasive agent in toothpaste.
- It’s a good abrasive agent owing to its insolubility in water and its low reactivity in direction of fluorides.